Thursday, December 25, 2008

First road trip camping.

the chruch

our friend





It was winter in Northern California and I had the bike a few weeks. Got my camping stuff together with few trips to REI. Where to go?.My friend Christian had been camping a week earlier, when it was nice and warm and told me about Salt point and how beautiful it was. I had never been there. It is on the way to Sea Ranch on highway 1. So got all prepared git the bike loaded and was ready to take off. It was cold, unlike the weekend before when Christian was there. It was also November and I didn't think anyone else would be out. On the bike early, the girls said good by and gave me a nice note and I was off, well one quick stop for gas. Though Petaluma and up on to Hwy 1. It was cold, but so nice. Made my first BMW screw up and thought the bike had broken down. While trying to set the cruise control I hit the kill button and the bike stopped at 70 MPH.
When I told Barry he laughed and said welcome to the club. Stopped at my kids favorite store Kite and Candy in Bodaga Bay to get them a little something, cause they don't get much candy. And back off to Salt Point. WOW the 1 is so beautiful, we are so lucky to live in Nor Cal. Found the camp site and as I tought it was pretty empty. I rode around and saw these two guys on big Harley's one on them had a camper on the back. I pulled over to talk to them , they looked like they had every thing so I asked if I could share the site with them "yes of course" I joked with one of them the in camping world there trailer was like the Ritz Carlton. I took a quick trip back into Town to pick up some fire wood etc and back to the camp site. Set up the tent and started the fire. After some small talk we all took a ride down to the beach, cold but so stunning. the rugged beauty of the coast, the photo can not do it justice. It was getting dark, so we headed back. I was ready to have my soap cooked over my REI stove and the crazy but nice guys pulled out half a cow, which was feed range, and were nice enough to share. WOW what a surprise, meeting two nice guys, sharing there site and fire and now the Ritz is serving me up prime meat for dinner. After a few drinks and a great meal we had some visitors, see the photos. We also had a fox, but he was too fast to get photos of him. One of the guys said we should go lay flat out on the road and look up at the stars, wow what a great idea,I saw shooting stars and the milky way. Things you don't see in the city. Off to bed and man did it get cold, Now I was not laughing about the penthouse suite inside the Ritz next door to me. But off to sleep. Of course some time in the middle of the night had to pee, you needed to know that. And at about 3am our friend came back looking for food and woke me up, you hear everything in a tent, so everyone in the Ritz slept though it. Woke up and there was some ice on the bike. Has some breakfast and the other two guys while I was packing up said we should go for a ride and see this church 50 mile up the Hwy 1. Now when two Harley guys ask you to go see a church what goes through your mind. But these guys were cool. Nice ride up the 1 had we found this church, so cool. Check out the photos if toy are up near Sea Ranch check it out. After that I had to take off but thanks to my new found friends. I learnt a lot on this short trip, so hopefully the next and bigger trips will go better. Hope you enjoy the photos

www.candyandkites.com
www.rei.com
www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=453
Cheers PB

No comments:

Post a Comment